[thelist] Printing without page headers

Joshua Olson joshua at waetech.com
Thu Jan 22 22:20:24 CST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Javier Muniz" <javierm at corp.granicus.com>
Sent: Thursday, January 22, 2004 6:12 PM

> I am working on a project that requires that I print without the
> headers/footers that IE/Netscape automatically adds to the page (usually
> a URL, page number, etc).  So far all I have been able to find is an
> ActiveX control that only works in IE... has anyone discovered another
> way to do this that does not require something like ActiveX?

Javier,

I fear that you will probably not find an adequate solution that will work
in most cases.  Since this question is about printing, I am going to guess
that the project calls for printing out a webpage for the purposes of
creating a poor-man's printing press?  If so, you'll most likely find that
browsers are not yet mature enough to make this a viable reality.  I'd
strongly suggest that you create a PDF on the server, issue it to them, and
let them print that.

There are a number of toolkits that will allow you to generate the PDF
programmatically on the server.  Depending on how complex the document you
are generating may be, this may be a very cost-effective solution.  In some
cases you may even be about to use the fill-in form features of PDF's so all
you have to do is to populate the form and it's ready to go.

I've worked with ActivePDF for form filling and know that it can do some of
this at a very small price (when compared to trying to figure it out
yourself at $$/hr).  PlanetPDF has many links to other toolkits that may be
of help if you decide to go down this road of dynamic generation.

Best of luck,

Joshua Olson
Web Application Engineer
WAE Tech Inc.