[thelist] border="1"

Mike Combs mike at combsnet.com
Fri Jan 23 15:54:07 CST 2004

I didn't get a response to this on the CSS list, so I'm trying here. It
kind of crosses over between CSS and HTML anyway.

I'm trying to style tables with curved borders and lots of fancy chrome,
but restrict all of the styling to the CSS. Of course, I want the tables to
at least be legible on old browsers.

So it seems to me that I should at least include the 'border="1"' attribute
in my tables, even though this isn't XHTML compatible. When I view the
tables in Opera with CSS off, having this border attribute in the HTML
makes a big difference in terms of legibility.

Then, in the CSS, I override the border with my own styling. This seems to
work in IE and Opera, but not in Mozilla. In Mozilla, I can turn off the
outside table border, but not the border in the cells. I've tried:

table { border: none; }
table td { border: none;}

But the cell borders remain. Is there some CSS I've overlooked to override
the HTML? Am I a fool for including the non-compliant 'border="1"' in my
HTML in order to improve legibility for other user agents? Can I count on
browers having a table border by default?

I'd appreciate any help I can get from the sages on the list.

Thanks...mike