[thelist] upper left corner of the background image position

Michael Ryznar info at ryznardesign.com
Sat Jan 24 13:01:41 CST 2004

Hello,

Where are browsers expected to position the upper left corner of a
background image? Under the border or within the border area?

For example, in a div with a 10px border and a background image, I found
that in IE5mac, the background image is placed underneath the border (the
border covers part of the background image). However, in Netscape the
background image is placed in the "padding area" so that the border does not
cover up the background image.

Which browser is following the specs correctly? According to the specs what
is a browser supposed to do? I checked the W3C specs and it seems unclear to
me because I am not really sure what is meant by "padding area" or if I am
even reading the right part of the specifications.

Thank you,

--
Michael Ryznar

Ryznar Design