[thelist] Re: Old Browsers

Norman Bunn norman.bunn at craftedsolutions.com
Wed Jan 28 10:57:10 CST 2004

> > (I refer to Netscape 4 specifically, but I'm really referring to all
> > such outdated browsers.)
> >
> > I think the question a lot of developers/firms need to ask
> > themselves it, given the small percentage of users using NN4, does
> > the amount of money you might make from them as customers make it
> > worth spending extra money to develop and maintain a site that will
> > work perfectly in NN4? Also, are the people using NN4 as likely to
> > do online shopping (or whatever activity would mean them paying you
> > or your clients money)?
> >
> > I'm all for making sites *work* in NN4, but I think it's more trouble
> > (i.e. time, money, and frustration) than it's worth to make them
> > look as nice as they do in newer browsers.
>
> Two words - graceful degradation ;)
>
> Regards
>
> Chris Marsh

Exactly.  I make sure the site is usable in NS4 and other older browsers,
but do not expend tons of energy making it perfect.  Same thing for WebTV
(MSNtv).  This in itself encourages those who can upgrade to do so, and
those who can't/won't are still able to use the site.

Norman Bunn
www.CraftedSolutions.com
803-405-1008