[thelist] Explorer market share down in 2003?

Joshua Olson joshua at waetech.com
Fri Jan 30 10:41:43 CST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "James Aylard" <evolt at pixelwright.com>
Sent: Friday, January 30, 2004 11:29 AM

> > http://www.google.com/press/zeitgeist_nov03.html

> chart suggests a drop in usage of "other" browsers. However, a number of
> apparent quirks in the trend lines -- the the odd spike in IE 6 usage
around
> 3/03 mirrored by an equivalent drop in IE 5 usage, followed by
"corrections"
> in the trends of each, all preceded by a precipitous drop in the "Other"
> trend line -- suggests some kind of wackiness taking place, and makes me
> wonder whether even Google doesn't hold such statistics too dear.

James,

I think the wackiness in the IE usage is attributed to, if I recall
correctly, that many people switched to IE 6 and then switched back to 5/5.5
after some initial problems with compatibility.  I seem to recall some news
to that effect... perhaps having to do with some people being turned away
because the default security settings in IE 6 broke their favorite sites.

Can anybody corroborate my blurry memory?

Joshua Olson
Web Application Engineer
WAE Tech Inc.
http://www.waetech.com/service_areas/