[thelist] Mail Servers for Windows?

Chris Herrnberger chris123 at magma.ca
Sat Jan 31 17:29:22 CST 2004

On Saturday 31 January 2004 09:25, Frank wrote:

> I would like to explore my options as far as mail servers go: I want to
> have server level spam and anti-virus checkers. Can someone recommend a
> free/inexpensive  mail server that's robust, reliable, that allows me the
> kind of flexibility I would like... and hopefully doesn't have a hellish
> learning curve? What do you like?

Sorry but I know of no product in the windows world the meets the above
criteria and a little or no cost. Any flavour of linux however will have you
up and running on a 486, P1 or greater, in a few hours or less. Most of this
is now seemless during the install in almost all modern distro's that are not
specialized as a desktop replacement. The learning curve is not hard provided
you have a good manual. For this reason I would recommend purchasing SuSE as
it comes with the best manuals in the nix world. Alternatively, you can
download any flavor and read up on most things on line at no cost.

Sorry, I know this is not the response you requested but the solution will
provide you with the best value for the buck, very little maintenance and
meet your specified requirements. As all updates are now automated, basically
other then manual updates to the anti-spam systems, (which can be scripted)
its basically..."set it and forget it"...:)

Best of luck

/ch