[thelist] SQL - HAVING and OUTER LEFT JOIN

Sam Carter scforum at iness.com
Mon Feb 2 12:11:46 CST 2004

HAVING is similar to WHERE but applies to GROUP BY

SELECT Company, Products,  count(*) as Total
from MyTable
WHERE Company BETWEEN 'a' AND 'm'
GROUP BY Company, Products
HAVING count(*) > 10

I think you mean LEFT OUTER JOIN -- this means keep all the rows on the
left, and if there's no join on the right, add NULL column values

SELECT  C.Companyname, CASE WHERE A.Agencyname IS NULL THEN 'No Agency
Found' ELSE A.Agencyname END As Agencyname
>From MyCompanies C
LEFT OUTER JOIN MyAgencies A ON C.Companyname = A.Customername

-- This query will list all Companies where there is no Agency .  There's a
lot you can do with LEFT OUTER.

Sam
Visit the forums on sqlteam.com