[thelist] google and the studio stitches site

Stuart Young syoung at unitec.ac.nz
Mon Feb 9 16:44:52 CST 2004

jcbullas at nildram.co.uk 10/02/2004 01:42:38 wrote:

> Pull the google search function... you seen the sponsored links!!!
> Why not set up via atomz?

I would agree, Atomz site search is much better than google, and they allow you to only search your own site, while Google force you to have a radio button to choose between search the web with google and search the site. And if the atomz site search works (i.e. can find all the subpages) then you'll have no problems selling the change to your client.

Usability studies have shown that providing a search the web feature on your site is not useful because people search on the web all the time (so they already know how to search and probably have made it easy for themselves to search by installing a toolbar or bookmarking Google or something). And why encourage your visitors to find your competitors?

cheers

Dr Stuart Young,       +64 (0)9-815 4321 Ex 8656
<syoung at unitec.ac.nz>
Lecturer, School of Computing and Information Technology,
UNITEC Institute of Technology, Auckland, New Zealand
http://hyperdisc.unitec.ac.nz/staff/syoung.htm
I would provide a URL for my official staffpage, but its too long and complex