[thelist] Issues with Apache Multiviews and AOL

Simon Wheatley lists at simonwheatley.co.uk
Wed Feb 18 06:38:46 CST 2004

Charles R Graham wrote:

>I'm working on a new website, using links of the form <a href="about" >,
>which resolves either to 'about.html' or a directory named 'about' which
>contains an index.html document.

<snip>

>The conf file for the site:
>
><VirtualHost *>
>    ServerName www.seniorcommander.info
>    ServerAlias seniorcommander.dyndns.org www.seniorcommander.dyndns.org
>seniorcommander.info
>    ServerAdmin lightkeeper at knology.net
>    DocumentRoot /var/www/webs/srcmdr
>    DirectoryIndex index index.html
>    AddType application/x-httpd-php .html
>    <FilesMatch "\.html$">
>        ExpiresActive On
>        ExpiresDefault A1
>        Header append Cache-Control: "no-cache, must-revalidate"
>        php_value auto_prepend_file "/var/www/webs/srcmdr/inc/header.phpi"
>        php_value auto_append_file "/var/www/webs/srcmdr/inc/footer.phpi"
>    </FilesMatch>
>    <Directory /var/www/webs/srcmdr>
>        Options All Multiviews
>        AllowOverride None
>        <IfModule mod_access.c>
>            Order deny,allow
>            Allow from all
>        </IfModule>
>    </Directory>
></VirtualHost>

This sounds like a interesting technique and seeing as the W3C keeps
telling me that "Cool URIs don't change" I'd probably better pay
attention ;)

Can someone let me know if I've got this correct please?

I think that Multiviews is doing the hard work here. According to the
Apache docs (http://httpd.apache.org/docs/content-negotiation.html) When
presented with a call for "www.example.com/about" Apache will assemble a
list of "www.example.com/about.*" and "it then chooses the best match to
the client's requirements." How does it do this without the TypeMap
mentioned above? Which files get priority over which? Does it redirect
to the "www.example.com/about/index.php" as well?

Is this a realistic way of ensuring that my old
"www.example.com/about.aspx" will work when I change to
"www.example.com/about.php"?

Thanks

Simon