[thelist] Is this design too dark?

Tony Crockford tonyc at boldfish.co.uk
Wed Feb 18 12:50:46 CST 2004

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 13:31:37 -0500, Tara Cleveland
<evolt at taracleveland.com> wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> http://www.taracleveland.com/clients/inproject-mockup/mockup3b.gif

> The pictures of the children aren't meant to be portraits but rather
> semi-integrated into the design... but can you still tell they are kids
> or is it too dark?
>
> How is the contrast on the menu for you? Is it readable?
>
> I know, I know, it's the web and colours will never be perfect, but I am
> trying to make sure the design is readable and decent for most people.

First glance looked fine - easy to read and contrast okay, (TFT screen PC)
but as I looked at it longer I became strangely disturbed, I think the
pictures of the kids are sending strange messages to my subconscious.

the lad at the back is particularly menacing, reminds me of a scifi film
 from way back...

the oriental looking middle guy with his tongue stuck out is now giving me
nightmares and the guy at the front is a different colour to the rest.

maybe it's because they only have half a face each?

I don't know, but it still disturbed me.

is it just me?

if so, ignore me, never was much of an art critic anyway.

hth

Tony