[thelist] Tomcat, JBoss, or JRun - which is better for learning j2ee?

Chris Johnston chris at fuzzylizard.com
Mon Feb 23 18:02:09 CST 2004

Hassan Schroeder wrote:

> I'm not sure what you mean by your point (2), though -- could
> you clarify? I mean, JSP *is* a server side technology, and it
> and servlets are inextricably wed to the concept of a "servlet
> container".

Thanks everyone for the input, I will definitely be installing Tomcat to
learn J2EE.

As for the second point, the only other type server technology that I
have used in ColdFusion. I know from experience that you can learn both
the CF langauge, creating full web applications using it, and the CF
server. I just figured that J2EE had to be the same. However, people
have made a good point - learn tomcat now, learn something else later. I
guess you always have to start with the basics.

Once more question: how much system resources does tomcat use? The
reason for the question is that I have a notebook with 256megs of ram
that is currently running Apache, php, and mysql. I would like to
install tomcat onto this. (It is also running winXP home). Is this safe,
or do I need a more powerfull computer?

chris