[thelist] spam solution for linux box

Michael Pemberton evolt at mpember.net.au
Mon Feb 23 19:50:43 CST 2004

akinwande opegbemi <akinopewande at yahoo.com> wrote:

> On this and on the network i used all the life
> ip address given to me by my backbone but anytime
> there is spam complain,my backbone will block the
> ip on the linux instead of blocking the concerned
> ip that is on the network.

Do you have more than one external IP address?  Or do you have a series on
internal IP addresses?

If you have more than one external IP address, it should be possible for your
ISP to inform you of which IP was the cause of the complaint.

If you have internal IPs, check the docs for Clark Connect.  It should be
possible to monitor traffic on port 25.

If all else fails, install your own smtp gateway and disallow access to
external SMTP servers.  This will mean that the only way for the clients to
send email is via your gateway.  Once in place, it should then be possible to
find the person sending the large amount of email by checking the logs.
---
Michael Pemberton
evolt at mpember.net.au