[thelist] RE: DB-less CMS?

John.Brooking at sappi.com John.Brooking at sappi.com
Tue Feb 24 08:27:34 CST 2004

> Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 21:16:08 -0600
> From: Joel Konkle-Parker <jjk3 at msstate.edu>
> To: thelist at lists.evolt.org
> Subject: [thelist] DB-less CMS?
>
> I'm putting together a website for a club at my school, and we don't
> have access to a database, although we do have PHP and Perl. Does anyone
> know of an open-source CMS that doesn't require a database backend?

It's not 100% ready for public release yet (so the official announcement and
request for feedback will come later, list), but you may be interested in my
Shoestring CMS product at http://www.shoestringcms.com/
<http://www.shoestringcms.com/> . It uses Perl and text files. It's not a
full CMS, but more like a form-based site data maintenance system. It allows
the webmaster to define data elements on the site, either text or table-type
data, so that non-technical users can update that data through simple HTML
forms. It is good, for example, for maintaining text paragraphs as well as
repeating data such as announcements, calendar items, and any other small,
occasionally-changing data. I have also implemented a basic 'blog using it
(http://www.pobox.com/~JohnBrook/me/ <http://www.pobox.com/~JohnBrook/me/>
). It is released under GPL, and there is no charge, although there are some
other non-binding terms I ask you to observe. I am also making myself
available to assist in setting it up, for a fee.

It currently requires the use of SSI to substitute the data in. I am
currently finishing up Version 2.0, which will provide the option to write
changes to static pages instead, to avoid the server overhead of SSI. After
that, the next big plan is to add the ability to add new actual pages based
on a template, then I will consider it ready to go public. But you are
welcome to start looking at it now, and let me know if you are interested.

- John

Company-mandatory disclaimer automatically added below

This message may contain information which is private, privileged or
confidential and is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity
named in the message. If you are not the intended recipient of this message,
please notify the sender thereof and destroy / delete the message. Neither
the sender nor Sappi Limited (including its subsidiaries and associated
companies) shall incur any liability resulting directly or indirectly from
accessing any of the attached files which may contain a virus or the like.