[thelist] Fw: Meta tags and original URL

Mike Hopkins ironmike at inav.net
Tue Feb 24 15:26:29 CST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Alvaro Medina" <incomt65 at hotpop.com>

<<Snip>>

> Thanks, but really I wasn't talking about that; I was
talking about to put,
> maybe as meta data, a tag with the date and original page
location,
> invisible for display, but visible if one wanted to view
the code. Like the
> "author" or "generator" metatags.

<<Snip>>

> The date thing is when the date must not be shown, but it
would be useful to
> have it somewhere hidden.
> Also, my question was about "standard" meta tags, that
could be used perhaps
> by the spiders and others. Guess I'd have to make my own
tags.

> Alvaro Medina G.
> alvaromg at vtr.net
> Santiago, Chile

*************************

The Dublin Core meta information system can be used to
classify or identify a document, such as when the document
is part of an online library.

There are specific meta tags for date created and location
of the document (URL).

See informatioin on the Dublin Core system at:

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2731.txt
 which shows examples of the D.C. for HTML and

http://dublincore.org/documents/1998/09/dces/
which lists the basic D.C. elements.

The  D.C. home page is
http://dublincore.org/

To answer your question explicitly:
"HTTP://YOUR.URL.HERE/">

There is no reason, though, why you have to use something
like the D.C.
Meta data using the "name-content format is reasonably
flexible, and I think you would be on solid ground to just
use:

Mike Hopkins
ironmike at inav.net