[thelist] hover effect on Image Map areas?

Tony Crockford tonyc at boldfish.co.uk
Thu Feb 26 06:49:18 CST 2004

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 13:10:14 -0600, Stephen Rider
<evolt_org at striderweb.com> wrote:

> Hi --
>
> I'm putting together an image map of an apartment building where the
> user can look at a building plan and click on a particular apartment to
> see a blowup of the apartment floor plan.  I would like to use CSS to
> change the background color of the apartment when the user hovers over
> it in the building plan.
>
> Does anyone know of a way to do this?  Is there any way (Javascript,
> whatever) to do this without resorting to image slicing/swapping?
> (which won't work anyway because the apartments are not nice neat
> rectangles....
>
> I tried setting a background color to the area:hover, but that had no
> effect.

You've seen this?

http://www.alistapart.com/articles/imagemap/

upside down thinking - make an image map with CSS rather than styling an
html image map.

but it might do it?

works on the principle of absolutely positioning links over a background
image and adding a background to the link on hover, which then looks like
its changing the backgorund image.

clever thing is it's accessible as a menu in it's unstyled form.