[thelist] Getting compliant code from normal people

Maximillian Schwanekamp anaxamaxan at neptunewebworks.com
Thu Feb 26 12:06:16 CST 2004

Rob Day said:
>The members of the web team use Dreamweaver and most
>wouldn't know HTML if they saw it. These are sharp people, but
>authoring web pages is not anyone's primary function.

What about Dreamweaver MX 2004?  I am told that MX 2004 can produce much
cleaner code than earlier versions (even MX 2002).  The trick would be to
use the tool judiciously.  Macromedia has a number of tutorials and articles
on this topic, so perhaps your sharp non-HTMLers would be willing to teach
themselves.  Of course, I have doubts that any WYSIWYG authoring tool will
be able to reliably generate semantic markup, or  implement the various CSS
hacks that are still a fact of life right now.  Anyone use MX 2004?

Jeroen said:
>What about a Wiki? They have to learn some very simple markup rules. Or
>you could plug in some rich text editor like HTML area.

No Wiki I have seen uses anything but tables for layout.  However, TikiWiki
(tikiwiki.org) is a powerful wiki that does generate decent hybrid code.

Maximillian Von Schwanekamp