[thelist] tips on avoiding "bcc"ing to avoid being a spammer

Anthony Baratta Anthony at Baratta.com
Thu Feb 26 13:07:02 CST 2004

At 10:29 AM 2/26/2004, Maximillian Schwanekamp wrote:
> >thusly reducing outbound mail traffic...
>Ah.  That's the point that I missed.  Thanks for that.  Good to know.
>
> >Some mail servers may also be more optimized
> >when reading a single message
>Further means of reducing load on the sending server, then.  Another good
>point.
>
>Still, if you have even 1% (i.e. 100) of those 10000 messages get silently
>blackholed because they were BCC'd, it's time to  get a different bulk mail
>solution.  But thanks for the info!

Don't forget it's not just large BCC lists that will get you blackholed by
ISPs. Some count the number of emails coming into their domain by SMTP IP
Address. And you if you bust through a certain threshold they will
blackhole your IP for some arbitrary time.

So going to a single user : single email solution is not a full solution.

My client has a double opt-in list of 20K people. There are 4K AOL users,
12K Yahoo/Hotmail accounts. At this size we've had to work directly with
these ISPs to make sure our mail gets through. Even then, it gets dumped at
times because the end users don't understand what a white list is. Or are
too lame to remove themselves from a mailing list they signed up for and
report us to the ISPs abuse center.

It's a running battle and we are caught in the cross fire.