[thelist] Port 8080 and DNS

john at johnallsopp.co.uk john at johnallsopp.co.uk
Fri Feb 27 10:22:10 CST 2004

Hi ppl

I don't know if I've enough information for anyone to solve this, but here
goes.

I've build a web site using Java Server Pages, I'm not sure if I'm using
Tomcat or JBoss to be honest at the moment. To access my page I use
http://URL:8080

http://URL gives an 'under construction' message.

Separately, I purchased a domain name. Now I want it to point to the site.

I could use web forwarding, but I don't want to.

I would normally point the domain to the IP address, but can I use IP:8080
as a DNS A record? I don't think so.

Or, does it sound like my site's in a 'pre-public' area, requiring it to
be moved before it goes public?

I'll, obviously, speak to my hosts but they're reticent to answer emails
and it means a transatlantic call so I'm just trying some options and
getting myself ready for the call.

Any ideas?

Cheers