[thelist] Htdig

Diane Soini dianesoini at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 28 10:42:23 CST 2004

I have used it, and I believe Tony (on this list) was quite helpful to
me in understanding the set-up options.

I have not installed it, but was responsible for configuring it to work
on a web site that has PDF and html documents in several non-English
languages, including one site in Polish. Htdig doesn't work as well for
Polish as for the others. And it does not work at all for our Japanese
site.

It works ok, but not quite well enough for a global, corporate web
site. It lacks features that many people expect, such as searching
within the results. It can't search our database, so parts of the site
have to be searched using a different technology. Some htdig config
options are difficult to have much fine-grained control over.
Furthermore, the latest stable release just will not install on our
server, and our admin can't figure out why. So the unstable release we
are left with tends to choke on PDFs after a while of indexing. That
means I get most of them indexed, then it starts choking, and the rest
of the PDFs are indexed but without the real PDF titles and meta data.

I think it would be quite adequate for a smaller site that doesn't have
quite so many PDFs, and that doesn't have to contend with a patchwork
of server/database technologies that don't work together.

If you have any questions about the configuration I'm happy to help.

Diane

On Friday, February 27, 2004, at 04:33 AM,
thelist-request at lists.evolt.org wrote:

> Recently posted:
>
>> Htdig (the opensource search engine) and might do what you're looking
>> for:
>>
>> http://htcheck.sourceforge.net/
>
> Has anyone used htdig as I need to implement a search function.
> Any comments on ease of use/setup much appreciated.
>
> ben
***
Don't be afraid to try something new. An amateur built the ark.
Professionals built the Titanic. -unknown