[thelist] server speed issue - hosted sites loading slowly

Ken Schaefer ken at adOpenStatic.com
Sat Feb 28 23:50:15 CST 2004

a) Does everything load slowly over a LAN connection? If not, then you may
be able to eliminate the server itself as a bottleneck

b) Put a trace on the network and see what's happening (www.ethereal.com).
Is it taking a while to transfer the data, or a requests coming in really
slow from the client machines? What do counters in Perfmon tell you?

c) 128 kbps is not a very large pipe. All you need is two dial-up users (at
56kbps) coming to the server at the same time to completely saturate that
link. If you're doing things as well (such as, sending an email, or
similar), then I don't think you can expect much in the way of load times
for external clients.

From: "Joel D Canfield" <joel at spinhead.com>
Subject: [thelist] server speed issue - hosted sites loading slowly

All my sites seem to be loading *real* slow. Server's a 2.4 gig
processor with a gig of RAM, on a 128k DSL line (that's the upload
speed, recently tested) and the drive is nice and clean. But all the
graphics load dog slow. I took one and shrunk the images to unusable
thin-ness, and it didn't seem to have any effect at all.

Any IIS/Windows gurus have any ideas? (note: the tip "switch to Apache
on Linux" won't be especially helpful at the moment ;)