[thelist] Thought I'd try making a site with CSS... (>_<)

Christian Anderson lists at photokyo.com
Sun Feb 29 04:46:16 CST 2004

Hi Everyone,

Until now I’ve been making my website with tables and have had pretty much
good results with most browsers etc. Today I decided that I would make my
next site just using CSS. As I banged away at the keyboard using TopStyle
lite, and watching the results in IE, I was quite pleased with what I had
come up with so far. Remember, I’ve never used CSS before so this is my
first crack at it.

So I go upload the prototype to the web to begin some database connections
and decide to check it out with firefox

That’s when things went crazy. How can a site look so different between 2
browsers? Is it a combination of IE not being standards compliant, and
TopStyle giving me tags that only look pretty in IE?

Anyway, take a look a this (sorry for the nasty URL, I just purchased the
domain name 30 mins ago and there is no way its resolved yet).

http://d6204322.u40.tokios.com/index.html

World of difference isn’t there? Seeing this makes me want to just trash all
the CSS that I tinkered with this morning and go back to tables.

Any advice?

Christian Anderson
Niseko Hirafu, Hokkaido, Japan
http://www.photokyo.com