[thelist] Thought I'd try making a site with CSS... (>_<)

Dave Stevens dave at stemfiction.com
Sun Feb 29 10:59:15 CST 2004

Christian Anderson wrote:

>Hi Brian,
>
>Thanks for all the tips. I went ahead and made all the changes that you
>suggested, and its almost got it to where it should be.
>
>Though, its no longer centered in either browser, the photo gallery and
>moblog little boxes aren't lining up with each other, and then travelogue is
>still overlapping those two :(
>
>Anything that I missed?
>
>Christian

the way I've always centred stuff (and I got this idea by frequently
visiting mezzoblue.com, Dave Shea is a master!) is by having a container
div (I believe your <div class="white"> fits the bill for this) that has
its left and right margins set to auto, and putting "text-align:
center;" in your body css. Then of course you will need to put
"text-align: left;" in your css for paragraphs, or divs if you don't use
paragraphs for text (which you should really).

so, to summarise, your css should contain this (amongst your existing css):

body {text-align: center;}

p {text-align: left;}

.white {margin-left: auto;
          margin-right: auto;
          }

I'm not claiming this is the best/right/etc way to do this, just a way
that has worked for me.

Cheers,
Dave