[thelist] Site review

Shawn K. Quinn skquinn at xevious.kicks-ass.net
Tue Mar 9 08:14:58 CST 2004

On Tuesday 2004 March 09 07:34, John C Bullas (soton.ac.uk relay) wrote:
> Colleagues
>
> Please be gentle with me as I am (really) a road surface
> characteristics PhD researcher
> delivering very cheap web solutions to ex-customers as a hobby.... no
> formal training
>
> http://www.rocbinda.com/

"If you don't enter our site in a few seconds click here" -- huh? When I
type that address in, I should have already entered the site. "Click
here" is a poor choice for link text, too.

In the photo gallery, most of the drop shadow images don't line up
properly for me (Konqueror 3.2.0). The "contact us" page is so wide it
borders on unusable.

Also, I don't see the logic behind suggesting some of the links open in
a new window. Suggesting the popping up of new windows creates more
usability problems than it solves (I have to right click, copy
location, clear address bar, and paste if I want it in the same window,
which I usually do).

I agree with Seyon's comment that showing the user's IP address and
browser type is just clutter, besides being completely wrong in my case
(my Squid proxies use the ircache.net caches as parents). In the case
of users with Javascript disabled (more than you think), the former
could also be said of the buttons.

On the plus side, the focus does appear to be on content over fancy
looks, and the overall look is simple yet functional. These are both
very good things.

--
Shawn K. Quinn