[thelist] Basic CSS Template issues

Joshua Olson joshua at waetech.com
Tue Mar 9 23:25:23 CST 2004

I'm working on some basic sample templates that demonstrate typical 2 and 3
columns layouts.  I've published them here:

http://concepts.waetech.com/basic_templates/

I'm having a couple problems with some of them (mostly on IE), and was
hoping somebody could help explain some of the issues I'm having and perhaps
even provide some simple workarounds.  Specifically:

http://concepts.waetech.com/basic_templates/three_column_boxes.html
Exhibits the 3-pixel jog bug in the main content area just below the floated
left div.  I've read and reread the supposed fix to this [0], but cannot
seem to figure out how to apply it here.

http://concepts.waetech.com/basic_templates/two_column_boxes_liquid.html
This one has two problems in addition to the 3-pixel jog.  Name, when the
page is squished on IE, a blank gap appears in the blue box and black box
that starts about line 1 inch down the top of the red box and the content in
the blue box drops too low.  Also, the lower black border of the header
seems to stop short of the right edge of the browser window.  See the
screenshot [1]

http://concepts.waetech.com/basic_templates/three_column_no_boxes.html
This is a triviality, but... when you make the left column long and the
middle and right columns much shorter, the border between the center column
and the right column is only as long as the longer of the middle and right
columns.  I know that I could do hackish background images to solve this
issue, but is there a non-hackish way to pull this effect off?

Any help would be greatly appreciated (even if it's "scap these demos and do
it this way instead!")

Thanks in advance.

[0] http://www.positioniseverything.net/explorer/threepxtest.html
[1] http://concepts.waetech.com/basic_templates/ie6isbad.gif