[thelist] Q on databases

jsWalter jsWalter at torres.ws
Thu Mar 11 09:17:58 CST 2004

I have to create a "job board" type of site.

I'm thinking about the database right now.

I figure I'd have 2 tables...
  - employer                  - jobs
    - emp_id                    - job_id
    - emp_name                  - emp_id
    - emp_addr_1                - job_position
    - emp_addr_2                - job_title
    - emp_city                  - job_ck_desc
    - emp_st                    - job_ck_mail (bol)
    - emp_zip                   - job_ck_phone (bol)
    - emp_contact               - job_ck_fax (bol)
    - emp_phone                 - job_ck_email (bol)
    - emp_fax                     or
    - emp_email                 -  job_contac_method (bitmap value)

My real question here is contact method.

I've thought of 2 ways to do this:

 1) a column for each method, as a Boolean
 2) a single column with a bit map value indicating which method to use

The first method is easy (for a human) to read
The second is not

The first will nee to be expanded to include other contact types
The second will not, just program logic changes to handle new method.

How do you folks handle this type of thing?

Thanks

Walter