[thelist] Apache + Subdomains

Anthony Baratta anthony at baratta.com
Thu Mar 11 23:04:55 CST 2004

At 08:49 PM 3/11/2004, Adrian Gonzales wrote:
>I am using apache as my webserver to host several websites. I use
>Virtual Hosts for each domain and subdomain. I was wondering if there is
>a more efficient way of assigning sub domains rather than a virtual host
>for each one. And is there any way to make a virtual host answer more
>than one domain, ie: clearspanmedia.com, www.clearspanmedia.com

Virtual Host is your directive to creating "independent" domains using the
same server. So there is no getting around it if you want to host more than
one domain.

More info than you care to know is here:

http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/vhosts/name-based.html

Regarding multiple domain names for each virtual host:

http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/core.html#serveralias

you just string them together space delimited:

ServerAlias clearspanmedia.com www.clearspanmedia.com

---
Anthony Baratta
President