[thelist] forcing a website font

kris burford kris at midtempo.net
Fri Mar 12 03:56:24 CST 2004

>>Ok forcing a font... is it possible to force a font to be read from a browser
>>even though it is not installed on the clients machine?  Perhaps a detect
>>or a
>>popup if the font is not on the local machine?
>
>What is WEFT all about?
>
>http://www.microsoft.com/typography/web/embedding/weft2/default.htm
>
>is that a way to enforce it but is that only MSIE 5+???

you can embed fonts into your page, but when we did it a couple of years
ago we found it exceptionally temperamental and eventually the client got
us to pull it.

there's a very basic guide at
http://www.ssi-developer.net/design/embed-font.shtml

you'll need to do *both* .pfr and .eot (probably with some js to identify
which browser and serve the appropriate gubbins)

good luck

kx
--
kris burford