[thelist] Apache + Subdomains

Carl Meyer carljm at goshen.edu
Fri Mar 12 00:05:28 CST 2004

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004, Adrian Gonzales wrote:
> I am using apache as my webserver to host several websites. I use
> Virtual Hosts for each domain and subdomain. I was wondering if there is
> a more efficient way of assigning sub domains rather than a virtual host
> for each one. And is there any way to make a virtual host answer more
> than one domain, ie: clearspanmedia.com, www.clearspanmedia.com

hi Adrian,

Not sure if this is what you mean by "more efficient way of assigning sub
domains", but you might want to look at

It describes ways to host a large number of very similar virtualhosts
without maintaining reams of almost-identical VirtualHost entries.

Another thing that I've done (not described in the Apache docs) is to point
a wildcard virtualhost (ServerAlias *.example.com) at a PHP script where I
look at the Host: header in order to serve up dynamic content specific to
the subdomain requested.