[thelist] Html - <body background="xxx.gif" > anyone know how to stretch?

David Dorward evolt at david.us-lot.org
Mon Mar 15 09:00:25 CST 2004

On 14 Mar 2004, at 15:54, Lightning wrote:

Regarding the background attribute - its deprecated in favour of CSS.

> I've noticed if your background picture covers only 3/4 of the display
> space, the picture restarts and looks wierd.
>
> Does anyone know how to s-t-r-e-t-c-h it so it doesn't repeat itself?

There are two answers to this.

(1) It is impossible. You can not scale backgrounds (although the CSS
background-repeat property can alter the way they repeat). The key is
to have backgrounds that tile sensibly, or which fade to a solid colour
at the edges.

(2) You can (warning, nasty hack incoming) fake a scaled background
image by using a foreground image and absolutely positioning the rest
of the content on top of it.