[thelist] [JS] window.onload is a liar...

liorean liorean at f2o.org
Tue Mar 16 02:23:03 CST 2004

Tom Dell'Aringa wrote:
> I'm trying to use window.onload but it doesn't function correctly. It
> tells me that my form isn't loaded when I call my function like so:
>
> window.onload = BuildSelect(arr);
>
> If I use a plain old onload="BuildSelect(arr);" in the BODY tag, it
> works fine.
>
> What is the difference? Why is the first method really not firing at
> onload? This does not work in either IE or Gecko...

window.onload should be a function - it will trigger when the document
has loaded. You, however, assign it the return value of a function.

window.onload=BuildSelect;

will assign the function itself to the onload handler. However, you are
losing the argument if you do thus. How to fix that?

window.onload=function(){
     BuildSelect(arr);
}

--
David "liorean" Andersson

ViewStyles, ViewScripts, SwitchStyles and GraphicsInfo bookmarklets:
<http://liorean.web-graphics.com/>
Hangouts:
<http://codingforums.com/> <http://yourmusicforums.com/>