[thelist] PHP vrs Perl - 15 rounds

Ralph ralph213 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Mar 22 22:57:23 CST 2004

>On this specific issue it's perl.  Why
>perl DBI module supports parameter binding to a
>query.

PEAR DB - http://pear.php.net/manual/en/package.database.php

METABASE - http://optip.mirrors.phpclasses.org/metabase

ADOdb - http://php.weblogs.com/adodb

And if you still want to use DBI, then

http://freshmeat.net/projects/php-dbi/

>Interestingly PHP has included a new mysql api in
>PHP 5 guess what they have called it? improved mysql
>api :-)

PHP current mySQL api is excellent. The Improved MySQL extension is actually
an extension that supports the new mySQL 4.1+ functions.

Whether PHP is better than PERL is a pointless argument. Both are excellent
languages. But from personal experience, since I started programming in PHP
5 years ago, I've not had a need to go back to PERL.