[thelist] Browser compliance

Joshua Olson joshua at waetech.com
Tue Mar 23 19:28:14 CST 2004

Martin,

I've had the best luck when I code to IE 6.0 in standards mode first, then
tweak for Mozilla/Firefox, then tweak for Opera, and then lastly tweak for
IE 5/5.5.  I aim for IE 6 first for two reasons: 1. Market penetration--most
of the visitors will be using it, 2. It's standard compliance isn't THAT BAD
in comparison to IE 5/5.5.

If I'm careful how I embed divs to create borders, padding, and margins,
then I OFTEN find no tweaking is even necessary for IE 5/5.5.  I purposely
try to avoid "features" that I know IE doesn't display well.

Joshua Olson
Web Application Engineer
WAE Tech Inc.
http://www.waetech.com/service_areas/