[thelist] OT: Barcode scanners and hardware inventory

Andrew Seguin asegu_evolt at borgtech.ca
Tue Mar 23 20:49:24 CST 2004

Something that that just made me remember... I think Intermec provides
some software/printer driver for free that could allow you to print bar
code labels on a regular printer from within say excel/access... maybe not
as practical as a dedicated label bar code printer, but could be helpful

When I stop by the office again on thursday or friday I'll double check my
downloads from Intermec to see if I had anything noted. In mean time you
could always look through their site at intermec.com... just to see.

Andrew

> One possibility that could be low-cost and interesting...
>
> Have you seen the Cue:Cat?
>
> It's a simple barcode scanner that Radio Shack was giving a way a while
> ago.
> You can probably find one without too much effort.
>
> You could scan product barcodes and be taken to the manufacturer's
> website...
>
> I think they are available in both PS/2 and USB versions.
>
> They can be modified to provide a text input of the barcode you scan
>
> there is a bunch of information about them online.  for example:
> http://cexx.org/cuecat.htm
>
> This opens a lot of possibilities.  On the simple side, you could use
> it to read UPC #'s into a spreadsheet, text file, etc.
> Or you could code a little application, maybe a simple PHP/MySQL app
> running on a laptop.
>
> If you develop something functional, consider open sourcing it, as
> others would likely find it useful.
>
> HTH,
> --
> David
>

> On Mar 23, 2004, at 1:15 PM, Andrew Seguin wrote:
>

>>> We are in the process of moving our office and to help with inventory
>>> and
>>> tracking (for both hardware and furniture) I would like to implement
>>> the