[thelist] Difference between domain registrars

Chris George cgeorge at basecorp.com
Wed Mar 24 11:47:31 CST 2004

Incidentally, I've had a very negative issue with godaddy recently. I
had a client whom, to her detriment, is very technically illiterate and
had a domain registered with godaddy some time ago. She was out of the
country while her domain expired, and despite her attempts with GoDaddy
customer support, including my time and long distance costs, was unable
to get her domain renewed in time.

After the domain expired, they claimed that it would cost $80 US plus
one year of new registration to pull the domain out of some holding
area, limbo or black hole and hand it back to her.

So, cheap domain registrations are OK, so long as you don't mind the
sacrifices made on either the customer support, or the post-purchase
aftermath that may ensue.

Good luck!