[thelist] Difference between domain registrars

Judah McAuley judah at wiredotter.com
Wed Mar 24 13:39:17 CST 2004

Luciano Kay wrote:
> --> GoDaddy is not perfect, I am sure, but certainly better than NetSol
>
> exactly! that's the question...
>
> I haven't so much knowledge on domains, DNS and related, then... how you
> could explain that a US$ 7.95 service is better than a US$ 35 one? (I really
> don't understand this)
>
> I mean, I don't care on who has the registry of my domain, I just want a
> good service (cheaper = better). Obviously, I understand that some specific
> o rare issues could happend (like the case told by Chris).

In many ways, its a case of marketing.  Netsol was the *only* registrar
for many years, so many people have domains registered through them.
They do everything in their power to keep those clients from transfering
while still being able to overcharge. With their merger with Verisign,
they also are taking a further "name brand" recognition tack, hoping
people that are renewing for 4,5,10 years will go with a company that
they believe will be around that long.

One (somewhat) minor note: check out the terms of service for each
registrar. They are not necessarily all the same. One issue brought up
awhile ago that may or may not have been solved at the ICANN level is
who actually owns a domain. Netsol has taken the position that they own
the domain and that you have usage rights. Some other registrars (like
the one I use, gandi.net) explicitly say that you have ownership of the
domain. A minor difference? Remains to be seen. Regardless, I prefer to
give my money to a company that acknowledges my rights in the broadest
sense possible.

Judah