[thelist] FTP / PHP

Raditha Dissanayake jabber at raditha.com
Thu Mar 25 19:02:15 CST 2004

>Now the dilemma:
>
>We have set up FTP Server on a local machine here in my office. Now, instead
>of the link downloading the ZIP file, I am getting an error message saying
>that the server cannot be found - or DNS error.

That is what IE always says regarldess of the real error. YOu should try
vieiwing your page in mozilla and you will then see the real error
message. Secondly you may want to take a look at the web server log file
that will have the error message that PHP produced.

I will bet a few dollars that the error is related to not being able to
open the dataconnection for FTP. As you know FTP protocol requires to
connections control and data. Unfortunately in setups such as what you
have described the data connection is more often than not blocked by
firewalls.

You can learn more about the using FTP with PHP here :
http://www.raditha.com/php/

--
Raditha Dissanayake.