[thelist] Is IE 5.0.0 mac a common browser?

Andy Budd andy at message.uk.com
Thu Apr 1 03:17:45 CST 2004

No. I generally don't bother supporting it any more, especially as it's
so buggy.

Mac's have quite a small market share as it is, and OS X probably has
more users now than OS 9, so your probably talking about %60 of 40% of
4%, and that's probably being generous.

That being said, if the site was aimed at the print market, you'd
probably find at least 40% of people were using IE5 on OS9. Things move
a lot slower in the print world ;-)

Mike wrote:

> Is IE 5.0 mac (on mac OS 9) a common browser anymore?
>
> I myself use IE5.1.7 on my mac with OS9 but I am curious if there are
> many people still using IE 5.0 on their macs. Or is there no way to
> really know this statistic?
>
> Does anyone know where I could find a current browser market share
> report that might show this breakdown at such detail?
>
> You see, I am working on a solution to a CSS image replacement problem
> and I have been told it breaks down in IE5.0 mac. I am not sure how
> much effort I should put into making it work for this browser or if I
> should create some sort of hack to avoid the problem in IE5.0
>
> Thank you very much for any opinions,

Andy Budd

http://www.message.uk.com/