[thelist] ASP RecordSet weirdness

Anthony Baratta anthony at baratta.com
Thu Apr 1 22:44:45 CST 2004

At 05:19 PM 4/1/2004, Ken Schaefer wrote:

>Anthony has mentioned "a bug" - actually it's not a bug, it's caused by the
>fact that ADO doesn't know how big a text/memo field actually is.

Ken...

That's not exactly what I meant. What've found (and I know a few of the
"old timers" here have seen this too, since it's been discussed here) is
after you requested the data from a text type field, the proceeding data
requests will return blank.

e.g.
         Col1 = varchar
         Col2 = text
         Col3 = varchar
         Col4 = int

Then in the code you are throwing data around:

         sValueOne = objRS("Col1")
         sValueTwo = objRS("Col2")
         sValueThree = objRS("Col3")
         sValueFour = objRS("Col4")

Even if there is data in the DB, sValueThree and sValueFour will contain no
data. What we've done to get around this is either use GetRows(), or put
the Text field last in the list:

         sValueOne = objRS("Col1")
         sValueThree = objRS("Col3")
         sValueFour = objRS("Col4")
         sValueTwo = objRS("Col2")

In the case that started this thread, all the columns are varChar. So
unless Tab is mistaken about the column types, something weird is going on.

---
Anthony Baratta
President
Keyboard Jockeys