[thelist] Very strange flash banner behavior on high profile site - security issue?

Tony Crockford tonyc at boldfish.co.uk
Fri Apr 2 15:23:50 CST 2004

At 22:11 on Friday, 02 Apr 2004, Tom Dell'Aringa wrote:

> Some ad company serves up the banner, but how can it possible mistake
> ours for thiers? Is it possible they have identical file names? Seems
> far fetched- but I cannot imagine HOW this would happen. Seems like
> slashdot nor our company would be too happy about if it was anything
> other than a localized occurance (which it MUST be) but still - any
> ideas on what's what?

maybe your company is redirecting requests to the ad server to their own
ad banner in an attempt at minimising ads for it's staff?

I have done something similar by redirecting all requests for adservers
IP's to localhost using my hosts file - this usually results in the ad
being replaced by my not found message...

would that be it do you think?