[thelist] JS object oriented validation / error placement

Tom Dell'Aringa pixelmech at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 7 09:17:28 CDT 2004

Hi folks,

Here at my company we have various scripts for front end form
validation which are all pretty hairy and some are outdated (I'm
somewhat new at my company).

I really like the validation class that is presented in the Glasshaus
book "Practical JavaScript for the Usable Web". I'm wondering if any
of  you are familiar with the technique and/or are using it in a
production environment. It seems like it scales well and and is easy
to use once the class is in place.

My only concern is the size of the class and its methods, which is a
tad large.

There's a sample chapter at the link below talking about his CC
validation to give you an idea if you aren't familiar:

http://www.webreference.com/programming/javascript/practical/chap10/

Also, usability wise are people in favor of stacking the error
messages at the top of the form or next to the field where the error
is? I generall prefer the latter but wonder what you all think. (I
never use JS Alerts anymore).

Cheers

Tom

=====
http://www.Pixelmech.com/ - read my latest blog posting!
http://www.DMXzone.com/ - JavaScript Author
http://SparklesParties.com - Princess parties for little girls!
http://www.thywordistruth.net/ - Eternal Life

"Well, my name's Dewey Oxburger. My friends call me Ox. I dont know if you've noticed, but I got a slight weight problem."