[thelist] Theory Question: Client Side or Server Side

Tom Dell'Aringa pixelmech at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 10 10:01:25 CDT 2004

--- "Shawn K. Quinn" <skquinn at xevious.kicks-ass.net> wrote:

> Javascript *in addition to* server-side scripts is fine, but note
> that a rather large number of people keep Javascript turned off and

> some browsing situations do not allow for Javascript at all.

While I agree with Shawn that server-side functionality should be
included - the statement that "a rather large number of people keep
JS turned off" is blatently false.

Look at any large sampling of web traffic and you'll find people who
have JS turned off is usually less than half of one percent IF that.
I am all for writing scripts that work when that is the case, but its
becoming so rare as to almost be non-existant.

The best thing to do in ANY situation however is *check your logs* if
you have them. Find out what  YOUR users are doing and cater to them.
Maybe for some reason 3% of your users have JS turned off, and you
should be more careful about it. In any case, there's nothing wrong
with using JS client side for this - you SHOULD use it.

But don't rely on it 100%

HTH

Tom

=====
http://www.Pixelmech.com/ - read my latest blog posting!
http://www.DMXzone.com/ - JavaScript Author
http://SparklesParties.com - Princess parties for little girls!
http://www.thywordistruth.net/ - Eternal Life

"Well, my name's Dewey Oxburger. My friends call me Ox. I dont know if you've noticed, but I got a slight weight problem."