[thelist] SSI

Maximillian Schwanekamp anaxamaxan at neptunewebworks.com
Tue Apr 13 21:47:16 CDT 2004

>1. Is it possible to do this using regular HTML?  Most of the tutorials I
>found on google seem to be talking about doing this within cgi programs.

Yes, it is definitely possible.

>3. Is this the right format: <!--#include virtual="mainnav.html" -->

Yes, that is correct.

>2. Do I have to give the main file and the navigation file to be included a
>special extension? One tutorial indicated that I have to name the mainfile
>with ".shtml" extension.

It depends on what kind of server you have.  If your site is on a Windows
server, your options are .asp/.aspx and I *think* .shtml, using the format
you gave.  If your site is on an Apache server, you can tell Apache to parse
your .html pages as if they were .shtml.  Create a file called .htaccess
(exactly that. *Not* htaccess.text or something else).  In that file,
include the following line:
AddType text/x-server-parsed-html .html
Upload that file to your website root ("/public_html" or "/www") directory.

Maximillian Von Schwanekamp
NeptuneWebworks.com
voice: 541-302-1438
fax: 208-730-6504