[thelist] Text Editor (IDE)

Burhan Khalid thelist at meidomus.com
Wed Apr 14 04:32:18 CDT 2004

Adriano Castro wrote:

      I've used, amongst others, Dreamweaver, UltraEdit, plain old notepad
> and VIM [all mainly for (X)HTML, CSS and JavaScript]. However I can't
> say I'm fully satisfied with any of the above.
>
>     I've tried other solutions for ASP and PHP and found great features on
> it I'd like to see on other IDEs. One of the features I'd like to have
> is the possibility to group a specific block of code/markup and expand
> and collapse it. Anyone?

Try SciTE [ http://www.scintilla.org ]

Free, syntax highlighting for about every language you can imagine, plus
you can customize/add your own highlighting rules.

Also has case folding, and can do function signature lookups for PHP
(and other languages).

What it doesn't have : FTP/CVS support.