[thelist] [ASP.NET] best practice error handling

Les Lytollis leslytollis at dimensions-corporatewear.co.uk
Wed Apr 14 05:55:49 CDT 2004

Hi All

I have entered the world of n-tier, oo, e-commerce design in ASP.NET  /
C# and I am getting a little bogged down in passing back errors from the
data layer to the presentation layer. I would appreciate any input.

As an example.

A data layer method  GetProductSetID returns an ID string to a business
method.
The business method GetProdutSet uses the result to return a DataSet to
the presentation layer.
The presentation layer ProductSet.aspx.cs populates a DataRepeater with
the returned DataSet.
If, however, datalayer.GetProductSetID has an empty result set, it
returns the string "No records match your search".
How do I get this error string from within businesslayer.GetPSDetails
(which should return a DataSet) to, say a label on the calling page?

TIA
Les Lytollis
Web Developer

********************Confidentiality Notice & Disclaimer ***********************
This message, together with any attachments, is for the confidential and exclusive use of the addressee(s).
If you receive it in error, please delete the message and its attachments from your system immediately and notify us by return e-mail.
Do not disclose, copy, circulate or use any information contained in this e-mail.

(1) Whilst we have taken reasonable precautions to ensure that any attachment to this e-mail has been swept for viruses, we cannot accept liability for any damage sustained as a result of software viruses and would advise that you carry out your own virus checks before opening any attachment.
(2) The sender shall remain solely accountable for any statements, representations or opinions that are clearly his or her own and not made in the course of employment.