[thelist] Re: Text Editor (IDE)

John.Brooking at sappi.com John.Brooking at sappi.com
Wed Apr 14 08:21:40 CDT 2004

>Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 10:26:40 +0100 (WEST)
>From: "Adriano Castro" <ad at netvisao.pt>
>To: thelist at lists.evolt.org
>Subject: [thelist] Text Editor (IDE)
>
>   What's your text editor of choice?
>  What special features has it got and what programming and markup
languages does it support?

>    I've used, amongst others, Dreamweaver, UltraEdit, plain old notepad
and VIM [all mainly for (X)HTML, CSS and JavaScript]. However I can't say
I'm fully >satisfied with any of the above.

  I probably won't be of much use to you, as I'm a dyed-in-the-wool
UltraEdit user. It sounds like you are a little familiar with it already.
I've listed my favorite features of it at [1], just in case you'd like to
look again.

>One of the features I'd like to have is the possibility to group a specific
block of code/markup and expand and collapse it. Anyone?

   I haven't seen that in an editor. The closest UE has (that I know of) is
the ability to recognize your functions and procedures and list them in a
separate window for quick navigation to them. Customizable to any language,
of course, as is the syntax highlighting. The UE site has a library of
config files for tons of languages.

[1]
http://www.shoestringcms.com/cgi-bin/Shoestring/defRenderTable.pl?datafile=p
ersonal/articles&template=personal/article&filter=Key%3D12

--

This message may contain information which is private, privileged or
confidential and is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity