[thelist] Text Editor (IDE)

Carl Meyer cjmeyer at npcc.net
Wed Apr 14 11:29:05 CDT 2004

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004, Adriano Castro wrote:
>     What's your text editor of choice?
>     What special features has it got and what programming and markup
> languages does it support?

I use Emacs.  Name a feature, it has it - you might have to look around for
the right plugin module, but it almost certainly exists.  It does syntax
highlighting for most any language you like, ftp/sftp/scp (even edit files
transparently across an sftp/scp/ssh connection), function/class structure
outlining for all languages I've used it with, etc.  It also does code
folding - I have mine set up to automatically fold Python and PHP code
according to the class/function hierarchy.  It even has built-in web
browser, email client, IRC client, news client, if you feel like replacing
your entire software library :-)

Carl