[thelist] AOL FTP Server

Simon Perry thelist at si-designs.co.uk
Wed Apr 14 12:17:58 CDT 2004

Rob Smith wrote:

>>According to some folks, and AOL tech support, you HAVE to use AOL software
>>to upload your files. Beyond the fact that this adds to my list of things
>>why I hate AOL, how to do you upload with standard FPT software?
>>

>8. Can I use my AOL login/password when FTPing from outside of AOL?
>
>No (well, not yet).  The Internet-connected machines at AOL do not have
>access back to the systems where the membership data is kept, so there is
>currently no way to verify login/password information on external connects.
>
>:-\ Ok. Again, AOL is stupid.

IIRC you can use the AOL software to connect to their service over your
current connection(AOL creates a VPN connection and a massive hole in
your security setup). Once you are connected then you should be able to
ftp into the account using your favorite ftp program. If this doesn't
work then you may find your sensible network administrator has blocked
the ports AOL uses, if it is your own setup then you can open up the
required ports in your firewall.

Simon