[thelist] Re: Text Editor (IDE)

Sam-I-Am sam at sam-i-am.com
Wed Apr 14 15:45:31 CDT 2004

>>One of the features I'd like to have is the possibility to group a specific
>
> block of code/markup and expand and collapse it. Anyone?

Homesite has that feature. (Now from Macromedia) If you've not checked
it out you definately should. Its very extensible with customizable
snippet collections, keyboard shortcuts and the ability to write and run
scripts (not just simple macros) with a (small but useful) API exposed
for doing most things the application can do. There's many available  in
js or vbs, and if you have any familiarity with web scripting its pretty
easy to get going yourself.
My only gripes with the code collapsing feature are
a) its not exposed to the scripting engine
b) it can cause some instability if you are already pushing the
application to its limits. (for example by editing large files .. it
doesnt do so well when you get into the 100s of KB).

I'm still using version 4.52, I think Macromedia is retailing homesite+
which basically adds most of what was coldfusion studio (homesite's big
brother) back in.

I've no idea what the future of this editor is - it was a jewel in
Allaire's crown, but since Macromedia bought Allaire (mostly for JRun?),
  I dunno. Anyway, what I have works so if it aint broke why fix it?

Sam