[thelist] how to connect to MSDE SQL Server?

Chris Johnston chris at fuzzylizard.com
Wed Apr 14 20:44:56 CDT 2004

I have downloaded and installed the Microsoft MSDE sql server. I have it
installed on my computer and can access the server and create databases
and tables using Visual Studio .NET 2003. However, if I try to access
the server using any other method -- ODBC, Aqua Data Studio -- I keep
getting a connection refused.

The point of downloading MSDE is to hook it up to ColdFusion for
development purposes. However, I need to figure out how to connect to
the server in order to do that.

A few details:
This is what I downloaded: MSDE 2000 for Developers using visual studio
.net - sql2kdesksp3.exe

This is the command that I used to set it up with:
Setup.exe /qb+ INSTANCENAME=VSDOTNET DISABLENETWORKPROTOCOLS=0 SAPWD=a
password

This should have enabled the server to be accessed over a network, correct?

So, the question is; how do I connect to this thing with something other
than Visual Studio .NET? Is it even possible to use MSDE for something
other than Visual Studio .NET development?

Thanks

chris
--
www.fuzzylizard.com