[thelist] how to connect to MSDE SQL Server?

Ken Schaefer ken at adOpenStatic.com
Wed Apr 14 22:12:58 CDT 2004

From: "Paul Bennett" <paul at clicksave.co.nz>
Subject: Re: [thelist] how to connect to MSDE SQL Server?

: Ken Schaefer wrote:
:
: >b) SQL Server has two authentication modes. Integrated Windows,
: >and Mixed Mode (Integrated Windows + SQL Server).
: >Microsoft is pushing Integrated Windows Authentication,
: >rather than Mixed Mode (which will soon become a
: >legacy feature).
: >
: As an aside, I had this problem connecting to SQL Server
: from a *nix box about a year ago. The business owner had
: to switch to mixed-mode security from windows authentication
: otherwise we could not get access to the data. (We used
: FreeTDS to communicate between machines) Would making
: mixed-mode security a legacy feature mean that MS is
: forcing people to use Windows-only machines to connect o
: sql server boxes? Or could it still be done with other OS's?

The other OS would need to support an appropriate authentication mechanism.
Windows 2000 (and above) supports Kerberos for example, and a client machine
with an appropriate Kerberos ticket should be able to authenticate to SQL
Server.

That said, I doubt SQL Server Authentication is going away anytime soon. But
notice that you can no longer have "SQL Server only" auth? There's Windows
Integrated, and Mixed Mode (which includes Windows Integrated).

Cheers
Ken